Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 6th in Lisbon

Today we saw Lisbon. We didn't actually get there until noon so in the morning we had some breakfast and took it easy. I breakfast this morning I met a couple from South Africa. They were really interesting to talk to. They told me all about South Africa and what I should see when I go there. They also told me I should not feel so bad about the U.S. Dollar being so weak because my one dollar is worth fifteen of their Rands. They were telling me that to pull out $1000.00 euros they had to use something like 35,000 Rands. Insane! They also talked U.S. politics with me because they like to follow them. They are McCain supporters all they way and asked me to try to change my vote to McCain. I said I would keep an open mind but that I didn't want another Bush in the Whitehouse. I really enjoyed our conversation with them. Sometime before noon John the cruise director came on the PA and announced we were coming into Lisbon. We all ran to the top deck with our cameras. The Lisbon fireboat greeted us with their water cannons and some very fancy maneuvers and I got some great shots of the bridge when we went underneath it. The bridge was very big and looked a little like the Golden Gate Bridge. We tried to book a shore excursion for Lisbon but they were all sold out so we just jumped on the shuttle and went into the city to walk around. Lisbon is a very nice city and I really enjoyed being able to just wander around. There were no crowds and there was lots of beautiful buildings to look at. We walked up and down the main area of town and saw the military giving a demonstration at the port. They were letting people get into their tanks and Hummers and buggy's. They also showed their dogs doing an obstacle course. After that we spent some time at a sidewalk cafe and then went back to the ship. That's about it for today. We wandered around the ship a bit when we got back and now I'm here doing this. We have the next 2 days at sea and then it's on to La Havre. One day left of my twenties, yikes!!!


OK nighty night.


-Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, Happy Birthday!!!! Yay!! I'm so excited for you!